- Interim Truth and Treaty Body
Interim Truth and Treaty Body
The Interim Truth and Treaty Body (ITTB) is committed to continuing Queensland’s treaty journey. We acknowledge the generations of calls from First Nations peoples in Queensland for Treaty and the work of many before us who have been pivotal in getting us to where we are today.
Our role is to lay a firm foundation while the First Nations Treaty Institute and Truth-telling and Healing Inquiry are being established through legislation.
We believe it’s time to reach Treaties with the sovereign First Nation peoples and recognise the truth of colonisation to create a path towards a stronger Queensland.
We aim to
- Initiate a process of healing through educating all Queenslanders about the full history of our State, and acknowledging the impact of colonisation on First Nations peoples
- Support local truth telling by facilitating community yarns and fact-finding activities
- Empower First Nations peoples and communities to prepare for formal truth telling and treaty negotiations
- Foster togetherness, of all Queenslanders coming together in solidarity, to set in motion true reconciliation for our State.
We will work
- Independently from Government, but partner with them to achieve a reframed relationship
- As partners with communities
- With integrity, transparency, and accountability
- Collectively to make progress together and help to reach treaty negotiations in the years to come.